Re: refactoring - share str2*int64 functions

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: refactoring - share str2*int64 functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-07-16 16:11:44 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:

> numutils.c also has pg_strtoint16 and pg_strtoint32, so the locations
> become rather inconsistent with inconsistent APIs for the manipulation
> of int2 and int4 fields, and scanint8 is just a derivative of the same
> logic.  We have two categories of routines here:

> - The wrappers on top of strtol and strtoul & co, which are named
> respectively strtoint and pg_strtouint64 with the patch.  The naming
> part is inconsistent, and we only handle uint64 and int32.  We don't
> need to worry about int64 and uint32 because they are not used?
> That's fine by me, but at least let's have a consistent naming.

Yea, consistent naming seems like a strong requirement
here. Additionally I think we should just provide a consistent set
rather than what's needed just now. That'll just lead to people
inventing their own again down the line.

> Prefixing the functions with pg_* is a better practice in my opinion
> as we will unlikely run into conflicts this way.

+1

> - The str->integer conversion routines, which actually have very
> similar characteristics to the strtol families as they remove trailing
> whitespaces first, check for a sign, etc, except that they work only
> on base 10.

There's afaict neither a caller that needs the base argument at the
moment, nor one in the tree previously. I'd argue for just making
pg_strtouint64's API consistent.

I'd probably also just use the implementation we have for signed
integers (minus the relevant negation and overflow checks, obviously) -
it's a lot faster, and I think there's value in keeping the
implementations in sync.

Greetings,

Andres Freund