Re: Choosing values for multivariate MCV lists

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Choosing values for multivariate MCV lists
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:18:19AM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 02:54:01PM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:

>>>OK, attached is a patch doing this. It's pretty simple, and it does
>>>resolve the issue with frequency precision.
>>>
>>>There's one issue with the signature, though - currently the function
>>>returns null flags as bool array, but values are returned as simple
>>>text value (formatted in array-like way, but still just a text).
>>>
>>>In the attached patch I've reworked both to proper arrays, but obviously
>>>that'd require a CATVERSION bump - and there's not much apetite for that
>>>past beta2, I suppose. So I'll just undo this bit.
>>>

>>Hmm, I didn't spot that the old code was using a single text value
>>rather than a text array. That's clearly broken, especially since it
>>wasn't even necessarily constructing a valid textual representation of
>>an array (e.g., if an individual value's textual representation
>>included the array markers "{" or "}").
>>
>>IMO fixing this to return a text array is worth doing, even though it
>>means a catversion bump.
>>

>Yeah :-(
>
>It used to be just a "debugging" function, but now that we're using it
>e.g. in pg_stats_ext definition, we need to be more careful about the
>output. Presumably we could keep the text output and make sure it's
>escaped properly etc. We could even build an array internally and then
>run it through an output function. That'd not require catversion bump.
>
>I'll cleanup the patch changing the function signature. If others think
>the catversion bump would be too significant annoyance at this point, I
>will switch back to the text output (with proper formatting).
>
>Opinions?

Attached is a cleaned-up version of that patch. The main difference is
that instead of using construct_md_array() this uses ArrayBuildState to
construct the arrays, which is much easier. The docs don't need any
update because those were already using text[] for the parameter, the
code was inconsistent with it.

This does require catversion bump, but as annoying as it is, I think
it's worth it (and there's also the thread discussing the serialization
issues). Barring objections, I'll get it committed later next week, once
I get back from PostgresLondon.

As I mentioned before, if we don't want any additional catversion bumps,
it's possible to pass the arrays through output functions - that would
allow us keeping the text output (but correct, unlike what we have now).

regards

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Avoid full GIN index scan when possible
Сообщение: Re: Avoid full GIN index scan when possible