Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release2019a.)

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release2019a.)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Daniel Gustafsson (daniel@yesql.se) wrote:
> > On 27 Jun 2019, at 00:48, Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Tom> In general, the point I'm trying to make is that our policy should
> > Tom> be "Ties are broken arbitrarily, and if you don't like the choice
> > Tom> that initdb makes, here's how to fix it".
> >
> > Yes, you've repeated that point at some length, and I am not convinced.
> > Is anyone else?
>
> I don’t have any insights into the patches comitted or proposed.  However,
> having been lurking on the tz mailinglist for a long time, I totally see where
> Tom is coming from with this.

I understand this concern, but I have to admit that I'm not entirely
thrilled with having the way we pick defaults be based on the concern
that people will complain.  If anything, this community, at least in my
experience, has thankfully been relatively reasonable and I have some
pretty serious doubts that a change like this will suddenly invite the
masses to argue with us or that, should someone try, they'd end up
getting much traction.

On the other hand, picking deprecated spellings is clearly a poor
choice, and we don't prevent people from picking whatever they want to.
I also don't see what Andrew's suggesting as being terribly
controversial, though that's likely because I'm looking through
rose-colored glasses, as the saying goes.  Even with that understanding
though, I tend to side with Andrew on this.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения