Re: benchmarking Flex practices

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: benchmarking Flex practices
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-06-20 10:52:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > It would be nice to have confirmation to make sure I didn't err
> > somewhere, and to try a more real-world benchmark.
>
> I don't see much wrong with using information_schema.sql as a parser/lexer
> benchmark case.  We should try to confirm the results on other platforms
> though.

Might be worth also testing with a more repetitive testcase to measure
both cache locality and branch prediction. I assume that with
information_schema there's enough variability that these effects play a
smaller role. And there's plenty real-world cases where there's a *lot*
of very similar statements being parsed over and over. I'd probably just
measure the statements pgbench generates or such.

Greetings,

Andres Freund