Re: fix "Success" error messages

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: fix "Success" error messages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 09:13:19AM -0700, Shawn Debnath wrote:
>>          case SLRU_WRITE_FAILED:
>>              ereport(ERROR,
>>                      (errcode_for_file_access(),
>>                       errmsg("could not access status of transaction %u", xid),
>> -                     errdetail("Could not write to file \"%s\" at offset %u: %m.",
>> -                               path, offset)));
>> +                     errno == 0
>> +                     ? errdetail("Short write to file \"%s\" at offset %u.", path, offset)
>> +                     : errdetail("Could not write to file \"%s\" at offset %u: %m.",
>> +                                 path, offset)));

There is no point to call errcode_for_file_access() if we know that
errno is 0.  Not a big deal, still..  The last time I looked at that,
the best way I could think of would be to replace slru_errcause with a
proper error string generated at error time.  Perhaps the partial
read/write case does not justify this extra facility.  I don't know.
At least that would be more flexible.

> Similarly, "Encountered partial write to file ..." would be better? Not
> a 100% on using "Encountered" but "partial" seems to be the right word
> to use here.

811b6e36 has done some work so as we have more consistency in the
error messages and I don't think we should introduce more flavors of
this stuff as that makes the life of translators harder.

-   if (CloseTransientFile(fd))
+   if (CloseTransientFile(fd) < 0)
Some spots are missing:
$ git grep "CloseTransientFile" | grep "))" | wc -l
30
--
Michael

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: openssl valgrind failures on skink are due to openssl issue
Сообщение: Re: openssl valgrind failures on skink are due to openssl issue