Re: pgsql: Avoid spurious deadlocks when upgrading a tuple lock

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: pgsql: Avoid spurious deadlocks when upgrading a tuple lock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Jun-16, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> So, I'm too lazy today to generate a case that fully reproduces the
> deadlock, because you need to stall 's2' a little bit using the
> well-known advisory lock trick, but this one hits the code that would
> re-initialize the variable.

Here's such a case.  I was unable to reproduce the condition with a
smaller sequence of commands.  This one does hit the deadlock when used
with the previous code, as expected; with the fixed code (ie.
skip_tuple_lock in the outer scope and same lifetime as "first_time")
then it works fine, no deadlock.

I'm going to push the fixed commit this afternoon, including this as an
additional permutation in the spec file.

setup
{
    drop table if exists tlu_job;
    create table tlu_job (id integer primary key, name text);

    insert into tlu_job values(1, 'a');
}

teardown
{
    drop table tlu_job;
}

session "s0"
setup { begin; }
step "s0_keyshare" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for key share; }
step "s0_share" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for share; }
step "s0_rollback" { rollback; }

session "s1"
setup { begin; }
step "s1_keyshare" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for key share; }
step "s1_savept_e" { savepoint s1_e; }
step "s1_share" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for share; }
step "s1_savept_f" { savepoint s1_f; }
step "s1_fornokeyupd" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for no key update; }
step "s1_rollback_f" { rollback to s1_f; }
step "s1_rollback_e" { rollback to s1_e; }
step "s1_rollback" { rollback; }

session "s2"
setup { begin; }
step "s2_keyshare" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for key share; }
step "s2_fornokeyupd" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for no key update; }
step "s2_rollback" { rollback; }

session "s3"
setup { begin; }
step "s3_for_update" { select id from tlu_job where id = 1 for update; }
step "s3_rollback" { rollback; }

permutation "s1_keyshare" "s3_for_update" "s2_keyshare" "s1_savept_e" "s1_share" "s1_savept_f" "s1_fornokeyupd"
"s2_fornokeyupd""s0_keyshare" "s1_rollback_f" "s0_share" "s1_rollback_e" "s1_rollback" "s2_rollback" "s0_rollback"
"s3_rollback"