pg_dump include/exclude data, was: verify checksums / CREATE DATABASE

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема pg_dump include/exclude data, was: verify checksums / CREATE DATABASE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Now that it is established that CREATE DATABASE does not
verify checksums on the template I have a followup question.

The current canonical solution (?) for verifying checksums in
an existing database is, to may understanding, to pg_dump it
(to /dev/null, perhaps):

    pg_dump --username=... --dbname=... --compress=0 --no-sync --format=custom --file=/dev/null

as that will read and verify all blocks related to the dump
of that database.

One will be tempted to include options to speed up the
process, say:

     --data-only

which would not output schema definitions. I wonder, however,
whether doing so would allow pg_dump to skip some reads into
the catalog tables, thereby, perhaps not detecting some
corruption in those ?

This question would apply to the following list of options as
far as I can see:

    #--no-acl
    #--no-comments
    #--no-publications
    #--no-subscriptions
    #--no-security-label

Is my assumption wrong ?

I don't really expect to just be handed a full answer (unless
someone easily knows offhand) - however, I don't really know
where to look for it. Pointers would be helpful.

Is the only way to know reading the source or suitable
server logs and compare queries between runs with/without
said options ?

Thanks,
Karsten
--
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B