Re: initdb recommendations

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: initdb recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Noah Misch (noah@leadboat.com) wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 12:15:35PM -0400, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > Our sspi auth is a more-general version of peer auth, and it works over TCP.
> > > It would be a simple matter of programming to support "peer" on Windows,
> > > consisting of sspi auth with an implicit pg_ident map.  Nonetheless, I agree
> > > password would be fine.
> >
> > I hope oyu don't mean "make peer use sspi on windows". I think that's a
> > really bad idea from a confusion perspective.
>
> I don't mean "make peer an alias for SSPI", but I do mean "implement peer on
> Windows as a special case of sspi, using the same Windows APIs".  To the
> client, "peer" would look like "sspi".  If that's confusion-prone, what's
> confusing about it?

I tend to agree with Magnus here.  It's confusing because 'peer' in our
existing parlance discusses connections over a unix socket, which
certainly isn't what's happening on Windows.  I do agree with the
general idea of making SSPI work by default on Windows.

> > However, what we could do there is have the defaut pg_hba.conf file contain
> > a "reasonable setup using sspi" that's a different story.
>
> That's another way to do it.  Currently, to behave like "peer" behaves, one
> hard-codes the machine's SSPI realm into pg_ident.conf.  If we introduced
> pg_ident.conf syntax to remove that need (e.g. %MACHINE_REALM%), that approach
> would work.

I would be in favor of something like this, provided the variables are
defined in such a way that we could avoid conflicting with real values
(and remember that you'd need a regexp in pg_ident.conf for this to
work...).  %xyz%, while supporting %% to mean a literal percent, seems
likely to work.  Not sure if that's what you were thinking though.

> > But I wonder if that isn't better implemented at the installer level. I
> > think we're better off doing something like scram as the config when you
> > build from source ,and then encourage installers to do other things based on
> > the fact that they know more information about the setup (such as usernames
> > actually used).
>
> If initdb has the information needed to configure the recommended
> authentication, that's the best place to do it, since there's one initdb and
> many installers.  So far, I haven't seen a default auth configuration proposal
> involving knowledge of OS usernames or other information initdb lacks.

I agree with doing it at initdb time.

Note that the current default auth configuration (to some extent) does
depend on the OS username- but that's also something that initdb knows,
and therefore it isn't an issue here.  I don't see a reason that we
wouldn't be able to have initdb handle this.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения