Re: pg_dump throwing "column number -1 is out of range 0..36" on HEAD

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pg_dump throwing "column number -1 is out of range 0..36" on HEAD
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-05-22 14:17:41 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Wouldn't the better fix be to change
> >         if (PQgetisnull(res, i, i_amname))
> >             tblinfo[i].amname = NULL;
> > into
> >         if (i_amname == -1 || PQgetisnull(res, i, i_amname))
> >             tblinfo[i].amname = NULL;
> > it's much more scalable than adding useless columns everywhere, and we
> > already use that approach with i_checkoption (and at a number of other
> > places).
>
> FWIW, I think that's a pretty awful idea, and the fact that some
> people have had it before doesn't make it less awful.  It's giving
> up the ability to detect errors-of-omission, which might easily
> be harmful rather than harmless errors.

Well, if we explicitly have to check for -1, it's not really an error of
omission for everything. Yes, we could forget returning the amname in a
newer version of the query, but given that we usually just forward copy
the query that's not that likely. And instead having to change a lot of
per-branch queries also adds potential for error, and also makes it more
painful to fix cross-branch bugs etc.

> >> Looks like the right fix.  I'm sad that the buildfarm did not catch
> >> this ... why wouldn't the cross-version-upgrade tests have seen it?
>
> > I suspect we just didn't notice that it saw that:
> > as it's just a notice, not a failure.
>
> Hm.  But shouldn't we have gotten garbage output from the pg_dump run?

What garbage? We'd take the column as NULL, and assume it doesn't have
an assigned AM. Which is the right behaviour when dumping from < 12?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Teach pg_upgrade test to honor NO_TEMP_INSTALL
Сообщение: Re: Teach pg_upgrade test to honor NO_TEMP_INSTALL