Re: Documentation for partitioned indexes?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Documentation for partitioned indexes?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 2019-Apr-26, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I suppose I better add something in Chapter 5 (DDL), possibly inside the
> > 5.10 section (Table Partitioning) -- a new 5.10.6 "Indexes for
> > Partitioned Tables" perhaps?
>
> I was expecting to find it in "5.11.2.2. Partition Maintenance".

Here's a first attempt at doing that.  I vote to backpatch this to pg11
(since this functionality is all there).

> BTW, is there anything equivalent for unique/pkey constraints?
> I tried "add constraint unique ... not valid" and just got a
> raspberry.

Sure, just "alter table only parent", without explicitly marking it not
valid.  Then the indexes on children must be attached to the parent
indexes; this searches for constraints and does the right thing.

On 2019-Apr-26, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> I'd suggest keeping the title of the section similar to the one with
> constraints, i.e. "Partitioning and Indexes"

In the end, it seemed material far too short to have its own subsection,
but maybe if we redesign the whole section we could lay it out
differently?  (One idea would be to leave 5.11 for declarative
partitioning, and add a new section 5.12 for legacy inheritance.
Something to think about for pg13)

Вложения