Re: accounting for memory used for BufFile during hash joins

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: accounting for memory used for BufFile during hash joins
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 05:43:56PM -0700, Melanie Plageman wrote:
>   On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 6:59 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>
>   wrote:
>
>     On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 04:28:36PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
>     >On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 3:15 PM Tomas Vondra
>     ><tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>     >> On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 01:48:40PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
>     >> Switching to some other algorithm during execution moves the goal
>     posts
>     >> to the next galaxy, I'm afraid.
>     >
>     >The main problem I'm aware of with sort-merge join is: not all that is
>     >hashable is sortable.  So BNL is actually the only solution I'm aware
>     >of for problem B that doesn't involve changing a fundamental thing
>     >about PostgreSQL's data type requirements.
>     >

>     Sure, each of those algorithms has limitations. But I think that's
>     mostly
>     irrelevant to the main issue - switching between algorithms
>     mid-execution.
>     At that point some of the tuples might have been already sent sent to
>     the
>     other nodes, and I have no idea how to "resume" the tuple stream short
>     of
>     buffering everything locally until the join completes. And that would be
>     rather terrible, I guess.
>
>   What if you switched to NLJ on a batch-by-batch basis and did it before
>   starting
>   execution of the join but after building the inner side of the hash
>   table.  That
>   way, no tuples will have been sent to other nodes yet.

Interesting idea! I think you're right doing it on a per-batch basis
would solve that problem. Essentially, if all (or >95%) of the tuples
has the same hash value, we could switch to a special "degraded" mode
doing something like a NL. At that point the hash table benefits are
lost anyway, because all the tuples are in a single chain, so it's not
going to be much slower.

regards