Re: Attempt to consolidate reading of XLOG page

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Attempt to consolidate reading of XLOG page
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-May-06, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 12:18 PM Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
> > The next version of the patch is attached.
>
> I don't think any of this looks acceptable:

I agree.  I inteded to suggest upthread to pass an additional argument
to XLogRead, which is a function that takes a message string and
SQLSTATE; in backend, the function does errstart / errstate / errmsg /
errfinish, and in frontend programs it does pg_log_fatal (and ignores
sqlstate).  The message must be sprintf'ed and translated by XLogRead.
(xlogreader.c could itself provide a default error reporting callback,
at least for frontend, to avoid repeating the code).  That way, if a
different frontend program wants to do something different, it's fairly
easy to pass a different function pointer.

BTW, having frontend's XLogFileNameCommon use a totally unrelated
variable for its printing is naughty.