Re: reindexdb & clusterdb broken against pre-7.3 servers

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: reindexdb & clusterdb broken against pre-7.3 servers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Michael Paquier (michael@paquier.xyz) wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 08:32:44AM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > Why do we even have code referring to pre-7.3 servers? Wouldn't it be
> > simpler just to remove that code?
>
> Even for pg_dump, we only support servers down to 8.0.  Let's nuke
> this code.

Agreed.

Seems like we should probably have all of our client tools in-sync
regarding what version they support down to.  There's at least some
code in psql that tries to work with pre-8.0 too (around tablespaces and
savepoints, specifically, it looks like), but I have doubts that recent
changes to psql have been tested back to pre-8.0.

At least... for the client tools that support multiple major versions.
Seems a bit unfortunate that we don't really define formally anywhere
which tools in src/bin/ work with multiple major versions and which
don't, even though that's a pretty big distinction and one that matters
to packagers and users.

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения