Re: walsender vs. XLogBackgroundFlush during shutdown

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: walsender vs. XLogBackgroundFlush during shutdown
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-05-01 02:28:45 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> The reason for that is pretty simple - the walsenders are doing logical
> decoding, and during shutdown they're waiting for WalSndCaughtUp=true.
> But per XLogSendLogical() this only happens if
>
>    if (logical_decoding_ctx->reader->EndRecPtr >= GetFlushRecPtr())
>    {
>        WalSndCaughtUp = true;
>    }
>
> That is, we need to get beyong GetFlushRecPtr(). But that may never
> happen, because there may be incomplete (and unflushed) page in WAL
> buffers, not forced out by any transaction. So if there's a WAL record
> overflowing to the unflushed page, the walsender will never catch up.
>
> Now, this situation is apparently expected, because WalSndWaitForWal()
> does this:
>
>    /*
>     * If we're shutting down, trigger pending WAL to be written out,
>     * otherwise we'd possibly end up waiting for WAL that never gets
>     * written, because walwriter has shut down already.
>     */
>    if (got_STOPPING)
>        XLogBackgroundFlush();
>
> but unfortunately that does not actually do anything, because right at
> the very beginning XLogBackgroundFlush() does this:
>
>    /* back off to last completed page boundary */
>    WriteRqst.Write -= WriteRqst.Write % XLOG_BLCKSZ;

> That is, it intentionally ignores the incomplete page, which means the
> walsender can't read the record and reach GetFlushRecPtr().
>
> XLogBackgroundFlush() does this since (at least) 2007, so how come we
> never had issues with this before?

I assume that's because of the following logic:
    /* if we have already flushed that far, consider async commit records */
    if (WriteRqst.Write <= LogwrtResult.Flush)
    {
        SpinLockAcquire(&XLogCtl->info_lck);
        WriteRqst.Write = XLogCtl->asyncXactLSN;
        SpinLockRelease(&XLogCtl->info_lck);
        flexible = false;        /* ensure it all gets written */
    }

and various pieces of the code doing XLogSetAsyncXactLSN() to force
flushing.  I wonder if the issue is that we're better at avoiding
unnecessary WAL to be written due to
6ef2eba3f57f17960b7cd4958e18aa79e357de2f

> But I don't think we're safe without the failover slots patch, because
> any output plugin can do something similar - say, LogLogicalMessage() or
> something like that. I'm not aware of a plugin doing such things, but I
> don't think it's illegal / prohibited either. (Of course, plugins that
> generate WAL won't be useful for decoding on standby in the future.)

FWIW, I'd consider such an output plugin outright broken.

> So what I think we should do is to tweak XLogBackgroundFlush() so that
> during shutdown it skips the back-off to page boundary, and flushes even
> the last piece of WAL. There are only two callers anyway, so something
> like XLogBackgroundFlush(bool) would be simple enough.

I think it then just ought to be a normal XLogFlush(). I.e. something
along the lines of:

        /*
         * If we're shutting down, trigger pending WAL to be written out,
         * otherwise we'd possibly end up waiting for WAL that never gets
         * written, because walwriter has shut down already.
         */
        if (got_STOPPING && !RecoveryInProgress())
            XLogFlush(GetXLogInsertRecPtr());

        /* Update our idea of the currently flushed position. */
        if (!RecoveryInProgress())
            RecentFlushPtr = GetFlushRecPtr();
        else
            RecentFlushPtr = GetXLogReplayRecPtr(NULL);

Greetings,

Andres Freund