Re: REINDEX INDEX results in a crash for an index of pg_class since9.6

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: REINDEX INDEX results in a crash for an index of pg_class since9.6
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-04-30 15:11:43 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > > I think trying to get this "working" is a v13 task now.  We've obviously
> > > never tried to stress the case before, so you're neither fixing a
> > > regression nor fixing a new-in-v12 issue.
>
> > Well, the test *do* test that a previously existing all-branches bug
> > doesn't exist, no (albeit one just triggering an assert)?  I'm not
> > talking about making this concurrency safe, just about whether it's
> > possible to somehow keep the tests.
>
> Well, I told you what I thought was a safe way to run the tests.

Shrug. I was responding to you talking about "neither fixing a
regression nor fixing a new-in-v12 issue", when I explicitly was talking
about tests for the bug this thread is about. Not sure why "Well, I told
you what I thought was a safe way to run the tests." is a helpful answer
in turn.

I'm not wild to go for a separate TAP test. A separate initdb cycle for
a a tests that takes about 30ms seems a bit over the top.  So I'm
inclined to either try running it in a serial step on the buildfarm
(survived a few dozen cycles with -DRELCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE
-DCATCACHE_FORCE_RELEASE, and a few with -DCLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS), or
just remove them alltogether. Or remove it alltogether until we fix
this.  Since you indicated a preference agains the former, I'll remove
it in a bit until I hear otherwise.

I'll add it to my todo list to try to fix the concurrency issues for 13.

Greetings,

Andres Freund