Re: Optimizer items in the release notes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Optimizer items in the release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 02:46:15PM -0400, Adam Brusselback wrote:
> As a user, I am interested in the optimizer changes for sure, and I
> actually had wished they were highlighted more in previous releases.
>
> > I think planner smarts are arguably one of our weakest areas when
> > compared to the big commercial databases. The more we can throw in
> > there about this sort of thing the better.
>
> Completely agree on both fronts. I have run into numerous
> optimizations I had taken for granted when I worked primarily with SQL
> Server and were not present in Postgres.  Work being done to make the
> Postgres optimizer smarter is great, as is highlighting that work in
> the release notes IMO.

This thread highlights the challenges of having optimizer items in the
release notes:

*  They often reply to only a small percentage of queries

*  They are hard to explain

I see the argument as wanting vague warm and fuzzy feelings that we are
improving the optimizer, which we are.  I will see what I can do to get
those ideas into the PG 12 release notes in as concrete a way as
possible.

Сообщение: Re: What is an item pointer, anyway?
Сообщение: Re: What is an item pointer, anyway?