Re: Documentation for partitioned indexes?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Documentation for partitioned indexes?
Дата
Re: Documentation for partitioned indexes?
Список pgsql-docs
On 2019-Apr-26, Tom Lane wrote:

> We appear to have a fair amount of support now for operations like
> constructing a partitioned index piecemeal, e.g. adding indexes
> to the partitions one at a time and then attaching them to a
> parent partitioned index, with the parent ultimately transitioning
> from "not valid" to "valid" once all the pieces are attached.
>
> However, I cannot find any coherent documentation explaining how
> to do this (or why you'd want to).  Am I just looking in the wrong
> places?

Hmm.  Under Notes for CREATE INDEX there is a paragraph on this:

    When CREATE INDEX is invoked on a partitioned table, the default
    behavior is to recurse to all partitions to ensure they all have
    matching indexes. Each partition is first checked to determine
    whether an equivalent index already exists, and if so, that
    index will become attached as a partition index to the index
    being created, which will become its parent index. If no
    matching index exists, a new index will be created and
    automatically attached; the name of the new index in each
    partition will be determined as if no index name had been
    specified in the command. If the ONLY option is specified, no
    recursion is done, and the index is marked invalid. (ALTER INDEX
    ... ATTACH PARTITION marks the index valid, once all partitions
    acquire matching indexes.) Note, however, that any partition
    that is created in the future using CREATE TABLE ... PARTITION
    OF will automatically have a matching index, regardless of
    whether ONLY is specified.

I suppose I better add something in Chapter 5 (DDL), possibly inside the
5.10 section (Table Partitioning) -- a new 5.10.6 "Indexes for
Partitioned Tables" perhaps?