Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Greetings,

* Michael Paquier (michael@paquier.xyz) wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 09:52:15AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > I recall having exactly that debate when SCRAM was being worked on and
> > the push-back basically being that it was more work and we'd have to
> > have additional syntax for ALTER USER, et al.  I wish I had had more
> > time to spend on that discussion.  Water under the bridge now, but
> > hopefully we learn from this and maybe someone refactors how this works
> > sometime soon (or, at least, whenever we add the next password
> > encoding).
>
> I am not sure that this would have been more work for ALTER TABLE as
> we could have relied on just password_encryption to do the work as we
> do now.  The reluctance was to have more additional columns in
> pg_authid as far as I recall, and I sided with having a separate
> catalog, and more independent verifier type checks in the catalogs, as
> you may recall, which would have also eased password rollups for a
> given role.

Yes, having an indepedent catalog table would have been a good approach
too, much better than where we're at now.  I hope someone has time to
work on that for a future version.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords
Сообщение: Re: Possible to store invalid SCRAM-SHA-256 Passwords