Re: finding changed blocks using WAL scanning

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: finding changed blocks using WAL scanning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 08:52:11PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Well, the interesting question is whether the server will generate a
> single modblock file for all WAL in pg_wal only right before we are
> ready to expire some WAL, or whether modblock files will be generated
> offline, perhaps independent of the server, and perhaps by aggregating
> smaller modblock files.
>
> To throw out an idea, what if we had an executable that could generate a
> modblock file by scanning a set of WAL files?  How far would that take
> us to meeing incremental backup needs?  I can imagine db/relfilenode oid
> volatility could be a problem, but might be fixable.

Well, this actually brings up a bunch of questions:

*  How often do we create blockmod files?  Per segment, per checkpoint,
   at WAL deletion time (1GB?)

*  What is the blockmod file format?  dboid, relfilenode, blocknum?
   Use compression?  Sorted?

*  How do we create incremental backups?

*  What is the incremental backup file format?

*  How do we apply incremental backups to base backups?

And there are some secondary questions:

*  Can blockmod files be merged?

*  Can incremental backups be merged?

*  Can blockmod files be used for restore prefetching?