Re: pg_dump is broken for partition tablespaces

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: pg_dump is broken for partition tablespaces
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Apr-22, Robert Haas wrote:

> PostgreSQL has historically and very deliberately *not made a
> distinction* between "this object is in the default tablespace" and
> "this object is in tablespace X which happens to be the default."  I
> think that it's too late to invent such a distinction for reasons of
> backward compatibility -- and if we were going to do it, surely it
> would need to exist for both partitioned tables and the partitions
> themselves. Otherwise it just produces more strange inconsistencies.

Yeah, this is probably right.  (I don't think it's the same thing that
Tom was saying, though, or at least I didn't understand his argument
this way.)

I think we can get out of this whole class of problems by forbidding the
TABLESPACE clause for partitioned rels from mentioning the database
tablespace -- that is, users either mention some *other* tablespace, or
partitions follow default_tablespace like everybody else.  AFAICS with
that restriction this whole problem does not arise, and the patch may
become simpler.  I'll give it a spin.