Re: proposal: psql PSQL_TABULAR_PAGER variable

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: proposal: psql PSQL_TABULAR_PAGER variable
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 06:06:40PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> čt 18. 4. 2019 v 17:58 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> napsal:
>
>     On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 05:45:24PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>     > čt 18. 4. 2019 v 15:51 odesílatel Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>
>     napsal:
>     >     In testing pspg, it seems to work fine with tabular and \
>     x-non-tabular
>     >     data.  Are you asking for a pager option that is only used for non-\x
>     >     display?  What do people want the non-pspg pager to do?
>     >
>     > My idea is following - pseudocode
>     >
>     > else /* for \h xxx */
>
>     Well, normal output and \x looks fine in pspg, and \h doesn't use the
>     pager unless it is more than one screen.  If I do '\h *' it uses pspg,
>     but now often do people do that?  Most \h display doesn't use a pager,
>     so I don't see the point.
>

> It depends on terminal size. On my terminal pager is mostly every time. \? is
> same.
>
> pspg can works like classic pager, but it is not optimized for this purpose.

Uh, the odd thing is that \? and sometimes \h are the only case I can
see where using the classic page has much value.  Are there more cases?
If not, I don't see the value in having a separate configuration
variable for this.

Сообщение: Re: proposal: psql PSQL_TABULAR_PAGER variable
Сообщение: Re: proposal: psql PSQL_TABULAR_PAGER variable