Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!

От Peter
Тема Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 05:19:11PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
! Gunther <raj@gusw.net> writes:
! > For weeks now, I am banging my head at an "out of memory" situation.
! > There is only one query I am running on an 8 GB system, whatever I try,
! > I get knocked out on this out of memory. It is extremely impenetrable to
! > understand and fix this error. I guess I could add a swap file, and then
! > I would have to take the penalty of swapping. But how can I actually
! > address an out of memory condition if the system doesn't tell me where
! > it is happening?

Well, esactly with a swap space. No offense intended, but if You
don't have a swap space, You should not complain about unintellegibe
Out-of-memory situations.
Swapspace is not usually used to run applications from (that would
indeed give horrible performance), it is used to not get out-of-memory
errors. With a swapspace, the out-of-memory situation will persist,
and so one has time to take measurements and analyze system
behaviour and from that, one can better understand what is causing
the problem, and decide what actions should be taken, on an informed
base (e.g. correct flaws in the system tuning, fix bad query, buy
more memory, or what may be applicable)

If I remember correctly, I did even see a DTRACE flag in my build,
so what more is to wish? :))

P.

Сообщение: Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Сообщение: Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!