Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@adjust.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Apr-12, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> There are many good reasons for the changes proposed in this thread, but I'm
> not sure if discoverability is one.  Relying on autocompleting a filename to
> figure out existing tooling for database maintenance and DBA type operations
> seems like a fragile usecase.
>
> If commandline discoverability is of importance, providing a summary of the
> tools in "man postgresql" seems like a better option.

The first comment in the LWN article:
 "It's broken and obviously a bad idea but we've been doing it for so long we
  shouldn't attempt to fix it"

IMO the future is longer than the past, and has more users, so let's do
it right instead of perpetuating the mistakes.

... unless you think PostgreSQL is going to become irrelevant before
2050.