Re: PageGetFreeSpace() isn't quite the right thing for some of itscallers

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: PageGetFreeSpace() isn't quite the right thing for some of itscallers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-04-08 14:05:02 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> However, now that I take a closer look I also notice that there is
> core code that calls PageGetFreeSpace() when it probably shouldn't,
> either. For example, what business does heap_xlog_visible() have
> calling PageGetFreeSpace()?

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. We got to get the
information for the fsm from somewhere? Are you arguing we should
instead have it included as an explicit xlog record payload? Or just
that it should use PageGetExactFreeSpace()? I assume the former based on
your "what business" language, but that'd not make terribly much sense
to me.  I don't think precision terribly matters here...

Greetings,

Andres Freund