Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums
Дата
Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums  (Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 03:53:59PM +0100, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> I think that it is good to show the overall impact of the signal stuff, in
> particular the fact that the size must always be computed if the progress
> may be activated.

Getting to know the total size and the current size are the two
important factors that matter when it comes to do progress reporting
in my opinion.  I have read the patch, and I am not really convinced
by the need to show the progress report based on an interval of 250ms
as we talk about an operation which could take dozens of minutes.  So
I have simplified the patch to only show a progress report every
second.  This also removes the include for the time-related APIs from
portability/.  A second thing is that I don't think that the speed is
much useful.  I would expect the speed to be steady, still there is a
risk to show incorrect information if the speed of the operation is
spiky or irregular leading to an incorrect estimation of the remaining
time.

In short, I would like to commit the first patch as attached, which is
much more simple than what has been sent previously, still it provides
the progress information which is useful.
--
Michael

Вложения