Re: Performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Performance of ByteA: ascii vs binary
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2019-03-18 15:33:17 +0100, Thomas Güttler wrote:
> I did some benchmarking and in my setup there was major
> performance difference.
>
> I tested a ByteA column.
>
> If I used ascii data the tests took 52 seconds.
> If I used random binary data the test took 250 seconds.
>
> binary data is (roughly) five times slower than ascii data?
>
> Is this a know fact, or is there something wrong with my benchmark?
>
> I used Python and psycopg2.

I don't see this here (Debian 9, Python 3,5, psycopg2 2.7.6, PostgreSQL
9.5).

I modified my bench-bytea script (https://github.com/hjp/blob-bench) to
restrict the byte values to printable ASCII (32 .. 126). There was
absolutely no difference, as the attached graph shows.

        hp

| |   | hjp@hjp.at         | management tools.

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: printing JsonbPair values of input JSONB on server side?
Сообщение: Re: printing JsonbPair values of input JSONB on server side?