Re: Compressed TOAST Slicing

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Compressed TOAST Slicing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Paul Ramsey (pramsey@cleverelephant.ca) wrote:
> > On Mar 18, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1.  I think Paul had it right originally.
>
> In that spirit, here is a “one pglz_decompress function, new parameter” version for commit.

Alright, I've been working through this and have made a few improvements
(the big comment block at the top of pg_lzcompress.c needed updating,
among a couple other minor things), but I was trying to wrap my head
around this:

+/* ----------
+ * toast_decompress_datum_slice -
+ *
+ * Decompress the front of a compressed version of a varlena datum.
+ * offset handling happens in heap_tuple_untoast_attr_slice.
+ * Here we just decompress a slice from the front.
+ */
+static struct varlena *
+toast_decompress_datum_slice(struct varlena *attr, int32 slicelength)
+{
+    struct varlena *result;
+    int32 rawsize;
+
+    Assert(VARATT_IS_COMPRESSED(attr));
+
+    result = (struct varlena *) palloc(slicelength + VARHDRSZ);
+    SET_VARSIZE(result, slicelength + VARHDRSZ);
+
+    rawsize = pglz_decompress(TOAST_COMPRESS_RAWDATA(attr),
+                        VARSIZE(attr) - TOAST_COMPRESS_HDRSZ,
+                        VARDATA(result),
+                        slicelength, false);
+    if (rawsize < 0)
         elog(ERROR, "compressed data is corrupted");

+    SET_VARSIZE(result, rawsize + VARHDRSZ);
     return result;
 }

Specifically, the two SET_VARSIZE() calls, do we really need both..?
Are we sure that we're setting the length correctly there..?  Is there
any cross-check we can do?

I have to admit that I find the new argument to pglz_decompress() a bit
awkward to describe and document; if you have any thoughts as to how
that could be improved, that'd be great.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения