Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: multivariate histograms and MCV lists

От Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: multivariate histograms and MCV lists
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 13 Mar 2019 12:39:30 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote in
<CA+TgmobvgTNWCeod_nqOJuPOYRecXd8XcsP4E2b8sbeGVygGJg@mail.gmail.com>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:20 AM Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
> <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> > +Multivariate MCV (most-common values) lists are a straightforward extension of
> >
> >   "lists are *a*" is wrong?
>
> No, that's correct.  Not sure exactly what your concern is, but it's
> probably related to the fact that the first parent of the sentences
> (before "are") is plural and the second part is singular.  It does

Exactly, with some doubt on my reading.

> seem a little odd that you can say "lists are an extension," mixing
> singular and plural, but English lets you do stuff like that.

Thank you for the kind explanation. I'm not sure but I understand
this as '"lists" is an extension' turned into 'lists are an
extension'. That is, the "lists' expresses a concept rather than
the plurarilty. (But I haven't got a gut feeling..)

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center