Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Update does not move row across foreign partitions in v11
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-Mar-08, Amit Langote wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 11:09 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > I'm not sure about copying the same to ddl.sgml.  Why is that needed?
> > Update is not DDL.
>
> Hmm, maybe because there's already a huge block of text describing
> certain limitations of UPDATE row movement under concurrency?

Uh, you're right, there is.  That seems misplaced :-(  I'm not sure it
even counts as a "limitation"; it seems to belong to the NOTES section
of UPDATE rather than where it is now.

> Actually, I remember commenting *against* having that text in
> ddl.sgml, but it got in there anyway.

We can move it now ...

> > ddl.sgml does say this: "Partitions can also be
> > foreign tables, although they have some limitations that normal tables
> > do not; see CREATE FOREIGN TABLE for more information." which suggests
> > that the limitation might need to be added to create_foreign_table.sgml.
>
> Actually, that "more information" never got added to
> create_foreign_table.sgml.  There should've been some text about the
> lack for tuple routing at least in PG 10's docs, but I guess that
> never happened.

Sigh.

Since version 10 is going to be supported for a few years still, maybe
we should add it there.

> Should we start now by listing this UPDATE row movement limitation?

I think we should, yes.