Re: Add exclusive backup deprecation notes to documentation

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Add exclusive backup deprecation notes to documentation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 11:33:20AM +0200, David Steele wrote:
> OK, here's a new version that splits the deprecation notes from the
> discussion of risks.  I also fixed the indentation.

The documentation part looks fine to me.  Just one nit regarding the
error hint.

> -    errhint("If you are not restoring from a backup, try removing the file \"%s/backup_label\".", DataDir)));
> +    errhint("If you are restoring from a backup, touch \"%s/recovery.signal\" and add recovery options to
\"%s/postgresql.auto.conf\".\n"

Here do we really want to recommend adding options to
postgresql.auto.conf?  This depends a lot on the solution integration
so I think that this hint could actually confuse some users because it
implies that they kind of *have* to do so, which is not correct.  I
would recommend to be a bit more generic and just use "and add
necessary recovery configuration".

> +        "If you are not restoring from a backup, try removing the file \"%s/backup_label\".\n"
> +        "Be careful: removing \"%s/backup_label\" will result in a corrupt cluster if restoring from a backup.",

Fine for these two ones.

> +        DataDir, DataDir, DataDir, DataDir)));

:)
--
Michael

Вложения