Re: Error in 9.6 documentation? checkpoint_flush_after

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Error in 9.6 documentation? checkpoint_flush_after
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, Mar  1, 2019 at 05:58:21AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/runtime-config-wal.html
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/runtime-config-wal.html
> 19.5.2
>
> checkpoint_flush_after (integer)
>
>     Whenever more than checkpoint_flush_after bytes have been written while
> performing a checkpoint, attempt to force the OS to issue these writes to
> the ...
>
> bytes or pages? postgresql.conf says pages

You bring up a good point.  This problem affects these postgresql.conf
variables:

    bgwriter_flush_after
    backend_flush_after
    checkpoint_flush_after

and probably more.  The issue is that the value is in bytes, as opposed
to a value of time, like milliseconds.  You can specify the bytes in
terms of the number of pages, e.g., 2 = 16kB, or you can specify it
directly in bytes, e.g., 32kB.

The line in postgresql.conf is saying:

    #checkpoint_flush_after = 256kB         # measured in pages, 0 disables

if you specify a number like:

    checkpoint_flush_after = 12

that is 12 * 8kB or 96kB.  If you specify an actual byte amount like
256kB, that is the value that is used.

Do you have any suggestions on how this could be made clearer?