Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: reloption to prevent VACUUM from truncating empty pages at theend of relation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-03-01 14:17:33 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > OTOH, as the main reason for wanting to disable truncation is that a
> > user is getting very undesirable HS conflicts, it doesn't seem right to
> > force them to change the reloption on all tables, and then somehow force
> > it to be set on all tables created at a later stage. I'm not sure how
> > that'd be better?
>
> I think we should reject the whole patch, tbh, and go do something
> about the underlying problem instead.  Once we've made truncation
> not require AEL, this will be nothing but a legacy wart that we'll
> have a hard time getting rid of.

IDK, it's really painful in the field, and I'm not quite seeing us
getting rid of the AEL for v12. I think it's a wart, but one that works
around a pretty important usability issue. And I think we should just
remove the GUC without any sort of deprecation afterwards, if necessary
we can add a note to the docs to that effect.  It's not like preventing
truncation from happening is a very intrusive / dangerous thing to do.

Greetings,

Andres Freund