Re: [HACKERS] generated columns

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] generated columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 09:51:52PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2019-01-15 08:13, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> +   bool        has_generated_stored;
>> +   bool        has_generated_virtual;
>>  } TupleConstr;
>> Could have been more simple to use a char as representation here.
>
> Seems confusing if both apply at the same time.

Ouch, I see.  The flags count for all attributes.  I missed that in a
previous read of the patch.  Yeah, two booleans make sense.

>> When testing a bulk INSERT into a table which has a stored generated
>> column, memory keeps growing in size linearly, which does not seem
>> normal to me.
>
> This was a silly coding error.  It's fixed in v8.

Thanks, this one looks fine.

>> +/*
>> + * Thin wrapper around libpq to obtain server version.
>> + */
>> +static int
>> +libpqrcv_server_version(WalReceiverConn *conn)
>> This should be introduced in separate patch in my opinion (needed
>> afterwards for logirep).
>
> Yes, it could be committed separately.

I would split that one and I think that it could go in.  If you wish
to keep things grouped that's fine by me as well.

>> What about the catalog representation of attgenerated?  Would it merge
>> with attidentity & co?  Or not?
>
> I think the way it is now seems best.  The other options that were
> discussed are also plausible, but that the discussions did not reveal
> any overwhelming arguments for a a change.

Hm.  Does the SQL standard mention more features which could be merged
with stored values, virtual values, default expressions and identity
columns?  I don't know the last trends in this area but I am wondering
if there are any other column specific, expression-like features like
that associated to a column.  That could give more strength with
having one column in pg_attribute to govern them all.  Well, assuming
that something else is implemented of course.  That's a lot of
assumptions, and it's not like the current implementation is wrong
either.
--
Michael

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode