Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-02-25 16:03:43 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > FWIW, rewrites of this kind can be quite nicely automated using
> > coccinelle [1]. One sometimes needs to do a bit of mop-up with variable
> > names, but otherwise it should be mostly complete.
>
> I'm getting slightly annoyed by arguments that reject a live, workable
> patch in favor of pie-in-the-sky proposals.  Both you and Robert seem
> to be advocating solutions that don't exist and would take a very large
> amount of work to create.  If you think differently, let's see a patch.

Uhm, we're talking about an invasive proposal from two weekend days
ago. It seems far from crazy to voice our concerns with the silent
breakage you propose. Nor, even if we were obligated to work on an
alternative approach, which we aren't, would it be realistic for us to
have written an alternative implementation within the last few hours,
while also working on our own priorities.

I'm actually quite interested in this topic, both in the sense that it's
great to see work, and in the sense that I'm willing to help with the
effort.

Greetings,

Andres Freund