Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-02-25 13:02:03 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 9:24 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Every time this has come up, I've opined that the right fix is to jack
> > up the List API and drive a new implementation underneath, as we did
> > once before (cf commit d0b4399d81).  I thought maybe it was about time
> > to provide some evidence for that position, so attached is a POC patch
> > that changes Lists into expansible arrays, while preserving most of
> > their existing API.
>
> I'm not really convinced that this is the way to go.  The thing is,
> any third-party code people have that uses a List may simply break.
> If you kept the existing List and changed a bunch of existing code to
> use a new Vector implementation, or Thomas's SimpleVector stuff, then
> that wouldn't happen.  The reason why people - or at least me - have
> been reluctant to accept that you can just jack up the API and drive a
> new implementation underneath is that the new implementation will
> involve breaking guarantees on which existing code relies; indeed,
> your email makes it pretty clear that this is the case.  If you could
> replace the existing implementation without breaking any code, that
> would be a no-brainer but there's no real way to do that and get the
> performance benefits you're seeking to obtain.

Yea, it'd be more convincing. I'm not convinced it'd be a no-brainer
though. Unless you've been hacking PG for a fair bit, the pg_list.h APIs
are very hard to understand / remember. Given this change essentially
requires auditing all code that uses List, ISTM we'd be much better off
also changing the API at the same time.  Yes that'll mean there'll be
vestigial uses nobody bothered to convert in extension etc, but that's
not that bad.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] generated columns
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] generated columns