Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Laurenz Albe (laurenz.albe@cybertec.at) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Yes, it *is* impossible to do safe backups with the existing API.  There
> > is an unquestionable race condition where a system restart will cause
> > your system to not come back up without you going in and removing the
> > backup_label file- and the only way you make that race window small is
> > to remove the backup_label file right after you run pg_start_backup and
> > copy it, and then PUT IT BACK at the end before you call pg_stop_backup,
> > which is insane, but otherwise the 'race window' is the ENTIRE length of
> > the backup.
>
> I just have an idea:
>
> What about an option to keep WAL around for the duration of an exclusive backup?
>
> That way PostgreSQL can still restart after a crash.  It will take longer than
> expected, but it will work.  But then, perhaps the long recovery time is only
> marginally better than having to manually delete the backup_label file...

I'm afraid that we'd end up with many, many complaints about people
running out of disk space on WAL when they are trying to take a backup..

I do applaud your efforts to think of a better solution but I'm afraid
that isn't really workable.  While crashing with a backup_label in place
definitely sucks and makes recovering from that not fun, it's probably
better than having people run out of disk space and having the system
PANIC from that during what would otherwise be perfectly normal
operation.

That would also seem like a bit of an odd difference between the
exclusive and non-exclusive backup methods... and another things we'd
have to write up documentation for if we kept both methods around to try
and explain to users and that is just not a pleasant thought.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode