Re: libpq debug log

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: libpq debug log
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-02-18 02:23:12 +0000, Jamison, Kirk wrote:
> For Andres, I haven't looked into tcpdump yet, but I'd like to ask whether
> or not the decrypted output to .pcap (if implemented) may be useful to
> application users. What could be the limitations?
> Could you explain a bit further on the idea?

Well, wireshark (and also tcpdump in a less comfortable manner) has a
dissector for the postgresql protocol. That allows to dig into various
parts. See e.g. the attached as an example of what you can see as the
response to a SELECT 1;

Right now that's not usable if the connection is via TLS, as pretty much
all encrypted connection use some form of forward secrecy, so even if
you had access the the private key, we'd not be able to parse it into an
unencrypted manner.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Вложения