Re: Refactoring the checkpointer's fsync request queue

От Shawn Debnath
Тема Re: Refactoring the checkpointer's fsync request queue
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 09:59:38PM -0800, Shawn Debnath wrote:

> I wonder if it might be better to introduce two different functions
> catering to the two different use cases for forcing an immediate sync:
>
> - sync a relation
>     smgrimmedsyncrel(SMgrRelation, ForkNumber)
> - sync a specific segment
>     smgrimmedsyncseg(SMgrRelation, ForkNumber, SegmentNumber)
>
> This will avoid having to specify InvalidSegmentNumber for majority of
> the callers today.

I have gone ahead and rebased the refactor patch so it could cleanly
apply on heapam.c, see patch v7.

I am also attaching a patch (v8) that implements smgrimmedsyncrel() and
smgrimmedsyncseg() as I mentioned in the previous email. It avoids
callers to pass in InvalidSegmentNumber when they just want to sync the
whole relation. As a side effect, I was able to get rid of some extra
checkpointer.h includes.

--
Shawn Debnath
Amazon Web Services (AWS)