Re: COPY FROM WHEN condition

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: COPY FROM WHEN condition
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-01-30 10:33:30 +1300, David Rowley wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 10:12, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

whichalso removes the first heap_form_tuple. Quite possible that nothing more is needed. I've removed the batch context
altogetherin yesterday's rebase, there was no need anymore.

> > > In your patch, where do the batched tuples get stored before the heap
> > > insert is done?
> >
> > There's one slot for each batched tuple (they are reused). Before
> > materialization the tuples solely exist in tts_isnull/values into which
> > NextCopyFrom() directly parses the values.  Tuples never get extracted
> > from the slot in copy.c itself anymore, table_multi_insert() accepts
> > slots.  Not quite sure whether I've answered your question?
>
> I think so.  I imagine that should also speed up COPY WHERE too as
> it'll no longer form a tuple before possibly discarding it.

Right.

I found some issues in my patch (stupid implementation of copying from
one slot to the other), but after fixing that I get:

master:
Time: 16013.509 ms (00:16.014)
Time: 16836.110 ms (00:16.836)
Time: 16636.796 ms (00:16.637)

pluggable storage:
Time: 15974.243 ms (00:15.974)
Time: 16183.442 ms (00:16.183)
Time: 16055.192 ms (00:16.055)

(with a truncate between each run)

So that seems a bit better. Albeit at the cost of having a few, on
demand creatd, empty slots for each encountered partition.

I'm pretty sure we can optimize that further...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: A few new options for vacuumdb
Сообщение: Re: A few new options for vacuumdb