Re: Feature: triggers on materialized views

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Feature: triggers on materialized views
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 04:13:44PM -0800, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for reply!
>
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 2:20 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> > You've got the right mailing list, a description of what you want, and
> > a PoC patch. You also got the patch in during the time between
> > Commitfests. You're doing great!
>
> Great!
>
> One thing I am unclear about is how it is determined if this is a
> viable feature to be eventually included. You gave me some suggestions
> to improve in my patch (adding tests and so on). Does this mean that
> the patch should be fully done before a decision is made?
>
> Also, the workflow is that I improve things, and resubmit a patch to
> the mailing list, for now?
>
> > > - Currently only insert and remove operations are done on the
> > > materialized view. This is because the current logic just removes
> > > changed rows and inserts new rows.
> >
> > What other operations might you want to support?
>
> Update. So if a row is changing, instead of doing a remove and insert,
> what currently is being done, I would prefer an update. Then UPDATE
> trigger operation would happen as well. Maybe the INSERT query could
> be changed to INSERT ... ON CONFLICT UPDATE query (not sure if this
> one does UPDATE trigger operation on conflict), and REMOVE changed to
> remove just rows which were really removed, but not only updated.

There might be a reason it's the way it is. Looking at the commits
that introduced this might shed some light.

> > I'm not sure I understand the problem being described here. Do you see
> > these as useful to separate for some reason?
>
> So rows which are just updated currently get first DELETE trigger
> called and then INSERT. The issue is that if I am observing this
> behavior from outside, it makes it unclear when I see DELETE if this
> means really that a row has been deleted or it just means that later
> on an INSERT would happen. Now I have to wait for an eventual INSERT
> to determine that. But how long should I wait? It makes consuming
> these notifications tricky.

If it helps you think about it better, all NOTIFICATIONs are sent on
COMMIT, i.e. you don't need to worry as much about what things should
or shouldn't have arrived. The down side, such as it is, is that they
don't convey premature knowledge about a state that may never arrive.

> If I just blindly respond to those notifications, this could introduce
> other problems. For example, if I have a reactive web application it
> could mean a visible flicker to the user. Instead of updating rendered
> row, I would first delete it and then later on re-insert it.

This is at what I hope is a level quite distinct from database
operations. Separation of concerns via the model-view-controller (or
similar) architecture and all that.

> > > Non-concurrent refresh does not trigger any trigger. But it seems
> > > all data to do so is there (previous table, new table), at least for
> > > the statement-level trigger. Row-level triggers could also be
> > > simulated probably (with TRUNCATE and INSERT triggers).
> >
> > Would it make more sense to fill in the missing implementations of NEW
> > and OLD for per-row triggers instead of adding another hack?
>
> You lost me here. But I agree, we should implement this fully, without
> hacks. I just do not know how exactly.

Sorry I was unclear.  The SQL standard defines both transition tables,
which we have, for per-statement triggers, and transition variables,
which we don't, for per-row triggers. Here's the relevant part of the
syntax:

<trigger definition> ::=
    ON <table name> [ REFERENCING <transition table or variable list> ]
    <triggered action>

<transition table or variable list> ::=
    <transition table or variable>...
<transition table or
    OLD [ ROW ] [ AS
    | NEW [ ROW ] [ AS
    | OLD TABLE [ AS ]
    | NEW TABLE [ AS ]
variable> ::=
] <old transition variable name>
] <new transition variable name>
<old transition table name>
<new transition table name>

> Are you saying that we should support only row-level triggers, or that
> we should support both statement-level and row-level triggers, but
> just make sure we implement this properly?

The latter, although we might need to defer the row-level triggers
until we support transition variables.

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums
Сообщение: Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums