Re: Add timeline to partial WAL segments

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Add timeline to partial WAL segments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 02:13:01PM +0200, David Steele wrote:
> Or perhaps just always add the timeline to the .partial?  That way it
> doesn't need to be renamed later.  Also, there would be a consistent name,
> rather than sometimes .partial, sometimes .<timelime>.partial.

Hm.  A renaming still needs to happen afterwards anyway, no?  When a
segment is created with a given name pg_receivewal cannot know if the
segment it is working on will be the last partial segment of a given
timeline.  And what would be changed in the segment name is the addition
of the new TLI, not the previous one.

> That means every archive command needs to deal with this issue on its own.
> It's definitely not a trivial thing to do.
>
> It's obviously strong to call this a bug, but there's very clearly an issue
> here.  I wonder if there is anything else we can do that would work?

Well, that's a visibility change, and I can see that Robert and I are on
the same page here.  It is annoying for people to do a minor release
with a RPM replacement and then potentially have to change things in
urgency.  Nothing good comes out of such situations.
--
Michael

Вложения