Re: lock level for DETACH PARTITION looks sketchy

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: lock level for DETACH PARTITION looks sketchy
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2018-Dec-20, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 3:58 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I think what prompted the lock to be AccessShareLock for the child rel
> > in the first place is the fact that ATExecDropInherit() (ALTER TABLE NO
> > INHERIT) uses AccessShare for the *parent* relation.
>
> Seems like apples and oranges,

Yes, but I can understand someone looking at ATExecDropInherit while
writing ATExecDetachRelation and thinking "ah, I have to grab
AccessShareLock on the other relation" without stopping to think in what
direction the parenthood between the rels goes.

> and also maybe not that safe.

I think it's strange, but I'm not interested in analyzing that at this
time.  Its comment do say that DROP TABLE (of the child, I surmise) does
not acquire *any* lock on the parent, which is also strange.

Сообщение: Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY
Сообщение: Re: ATTACH/DETACH PARTITION CONCURRENTLY