Re: Ryu floating point output patch

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Ryu floating point output patch
Дата
Re: Ryu floating point output patch  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-12-14 13:25:29 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Our track record in borrowing code from "upstream" projects is pretty
> miserable: almost without exception, we've found ourselves stuck with
> maintaining such code ourselves after a few years.  I don't see any
> reason to think that wouldn't be true here; in fact there's much more
> reason to worry here than we had for, eg, borrowing the regex code.
> The maintenance track record of this github repo appears to span six
> months, and it's now been about four months since the last commit.
> It might be abandonware already.

It's been absorbed into MSVC's standard library and a bunch of other
projects, so there's certainly some other prominent adoption.

The last commit was a month ago, no? November 6th afaict.

> Is this a path we really want to go down?  I'm not convinced the
> cost/benefit ratio is attractive.

float->text conversion is one of the major bottlenecks when backing up
postgres, it's definitely a pain-point in practice. I've not really seen
a nicer implementation anywhere, not even close.

Greetings,

Andres Freund