Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 01:31:53PM +0900, Robert Haas wrote:
> Most of the features I've been involved in removing have been
> deprecated for 5+ years.  The first release where this one was
> deprecated was only 2 years ago.  So it feels dramatically faster to
> me than what I think we have typically done.
>
> Actually, I hadn't realized until this discussion that the exclusive
> backup interface was actually deprecated -- I thought we were just
> recommending the new non-exclusive backup interface should be used.
> If we're in a rush to remove this (and apparently many of us are), I
> think we should make that warning a lot more prominent, maybe copy it
> into a few more places, and back-patch the changes.

Indeed, I definitely agree that we should move away from the exclusive
backup APIs at some point, still it feels very early to do this move as
of now.  Showing a bigger warning in the docs would be nice as a first
step, and then we could wait a couple of extra years before doing the
actual move.

By the way, David and others, my apologies for my latest email, I hope
you did not take that badly, my impression of this thread about the
opinions gathered was wrong.
--
Michael

Вложения