Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-12-12 11:05:36 +0900, Robert Haas wrote:
> As for my vote, I do not buy the idea that because we're changing some
> stuff about recovery.conf we should go ahead and do this too.  Yes,
> they are related, but just because you adjust your backup/restore
> script/tool to cope with one change doesn't mean that you don't have
> to adjust it some more to cope with the other change.

Sure, but you have to touch it, and it's not that big of an additional
change.  Call the other form of pg_stop_backup(), and write the contents
of the two returned textblobs into backup_label/tablespace_map.  As a
reward you get a backup that break crash-safety for the database, and
not having to do the migration later.

> I also think that the idea that supporting the exclusive backup
> interface is hurting anything is greatly exaggerated.  Whether we keep
> it or not, we're not forcing anyone to use it.

It's hurting users.  I've seen numerous outages due to the backup_label
file being around in the wrong moment.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode