Re: Database size 1T but unclear why

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: Database size 1T but unclear why
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 05:18:55PM +0200, Mariel Cherkassky wrote:
> I'm trying to understand why my database consume so much space. I checked
> the space it consume on disk :

This seems to be essentially the same question you asked last month, so should
either continue the existing thread or link to it.  I went to the effort to
look it up:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2Bt6e1mtdVct%2BCn%3Dqs%3Dq%3DLLL_yKSssO6dxiZk%2Bb16xq4ccvWvw%40mail.gmail.com

> [root@ base]# du -sh * | sort -n
> 1.1T    17312
> 5.2G    pgsql_tmp
> 6.3M    1
> 6.3M    12865
> 6.4M    12870
> 119G    17313

du -h shouldn't be passed to sort -n.
To get useful, sorted output, use du -m.

> However, when checking the sizes of my biggest tables (included with
> indexes and toasts) :
> select a.oid as oid a.relname as table_name,pg_relation_size(a.oid,
> 'main')/1024/1024 as main_MB,
>                 pg_relation_size(a.oid, 'fsm')/1024/1024 as fsm_MB,
>                 pg_relation_size(a.oid, 'vm')/1024/1024 as vm_MB,
>                 pg_relation_size(a.oid, 'init')/1024/1024 as init_MB,
>                 pg_table_size(a.oid)/1024/1024 AS relation_size_mb,
>  pg_indexes_size(a.oid)/1024/1024 as indexes_MB,
>                 pg_total_relation_size(a.oid)/1024/1024 as total_size_MB
>                 from pg_class a where relkind in ('r','t')  order by
> relation_size_mb desc,total_size_MB desc limit 10;

Why condition on relkind ?  It's possible an index or materialized view is huge.
Other "kind"s may be tiny...but no reason not to check.  Why not sort by
pg_total_relation_size() ?  That would show a bloated index, but I think your
current query could miss it, if it wasn't also in the top 10 largest tables.

> So is there an option of orphans files in case vacuum full failed ?

Andrew answered here:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87pnvl2gki.fsf%40news-spur.riddles.org.uk

> In addition, what else would you recommend to check to understand why the
> database consume so much space ?

You can run: du --max=3 -mx ..../base/17312 |sort -nr |head
And: find ..../base/17312 -printf '%s %p\n' |sort -nr |head

That works for anything, not just postgres.

As andrew suggested, you should look for files which have no associated
filenode.  You should use pg_relation_filenode(pg_class.oid), or maybe
pg_filenode_relation(tablespace oid, filenode oid)
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/functions-admin.html

Justin