Re: pg_config wrongly marked as not parallel safe?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: pg_config wrongly marked as not parallel safe?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 3:50 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > I'd suggest you read through the rest of the thread and see my response
> > to Tom.
>
> I already did that.

Great, then it's unclear, to me at least, what you're getting at in your
response here.

Just to be clear as to which I was referring to, what I said there was
that I felt the way we've been operating is striking a good balance and
that my concern on this thread was that people appeared to be trying to
move us away from that.  Today, at least, I feel like we are careful and
that we consider the impact on indexes when we're making changes to
immutable functions, and that when we do make such changes, they're for
very good reasons and that we make a note of them in release notes and
possibly go farther, such as considering if we could check for their
usage during pg_upgrade.

Do you feel that's overly aggressive and that we shouldn't care about
the impact of changing immutable functions that could be used in indexes
across major versions?  I don't get the impression that you do from your
prior response, but then it doesn't square with the later comments about
how I'm being carried away and trying to take some principled stand
against evil, so I admit to being confused.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения