Re: [HACKERS] Decimal64 and Decimal128

От David Fetter
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Decimal64 and Decimal128
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 02:57:37PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-11-12 23:51:35 +0100, David Fetter wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:01:33AM +1300, David Rowley wrote:

> > > Nice.  Maybe we can get DECFLOAT into core around PostgreSQL 32 or so :-)
> >
> > That's the same schedule we were on for C99, assuming linearity.  If
> > instead we assume that the speed increases with, say, more developers,
> > it seems reasonable to imagine that we'd have optional C2X features in
> > PostgreSQL 14 or 15, assuming support for it in at least two common
> > compiler toolchains ;)
>
> I don't think developer time is particularly relevant here. C99 adoption
> wasn't limited by somebody doing the work to make it so, but the desire
> to support some old platforms.  I'm personally perfectly fine with being
> more aggressive around that, but there are some other quarters that are
> more resistant to such ideas... But even if we're more aggressive, 15
> seems quite unrealistic - there'll be a lot of platforms that won't have
> a bleeding edge version of $compiler.

So if this got added to a lot of compilers, that might suffice.

Does this have any coupling to the C++ integration, or is it pretty
much orthogonal?

Best,
David.
Phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Decimal64 and Decimal128
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Decimal64 and Decimal128