Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: pg_dump multi VALUES INSERT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 03:05:28PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> The point of it is that it makes loading into other RDBMS faster.  Yes,
> it has many of the same issues as our COPY does, but we support it
> because it's much faster.  The same is true here, just for other
> databases, so I'm +1 on the general idea.

Well, the patch author has mentioned that he cares about also being able
to detect errors when processing the dump, which multi inserts make that
easier to check for.  However, even if you specify --data-only you still
need to worry about the first SET commands ahead, which requires manual
handling of the dump...

I am honestly not convinced that it is worth complicating pg_dump for
that, as there is no guarantee either that the DDLs generated by pg_dump
will be compatible with what other systems expect.  This kind of
compatibility for fetch and reload can also be kind of tricky with
portability issues, so I'd rather let this stuff being handled correctly
by other tools like pgloader or others rather than expecting to get this
stuff half-baked within Postgres core tools.
--
Michael

Вложения