Re: [HACKERS] removing abstime, reltime, tinterval.c, spi/timetravel

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: [HACKERS] removing abstime, reltime, tinterval.c, spi/timetravel
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2018-10-09 21:26:31 +0200, David Fetter wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 12:22:37PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > As discussed below (at [1]), I think we should remove $subject.  I plan
> > to do so, unless somebody protests soon-ish.  I thought it'd be better
> > to call attention to this in a new thread, to make sure people had a
> > chance to object.
>
> How much time would someone have to convert the timetravel piece of
> contrib/spi to use non-deprecated time types in order to make this
> window?

"this window"?

It's not entirely trivial, but also not that hard. It'd break existing
users however, as obviously their tables wouldn't dump / load or
pg_upgrade into a working state.

But I think spi/timetravel is not something people can actually use / do
use much, the functionality is way too limited in practice, the
datatypes have been arcane for about as long as postgres existed,
etc. And the code isn't fit to serve as an example.

In my opinion it has negative value at this point.

Greetings,

Andres Freund